Squiggle & Skank
Last time I did a mix, it was a 69(ish) minute selection of tracks, exclusively from 1969*, for my friend’s 1969 Baby! Night. As enjoyable as it was sharing that stuff, 2009 has generally been one of the least retro-fixated of recent years for me. And while there’s been plenty going on elsewhere, I’ve been most excited by the UK Bass Continuum (cheeky moniker compromise, © me) with which I’ve had something of an on/off relationship with for many years.
This mix then, is all about the dancefloor and mostly about this year with a couple of key (for me) older tracks** thrown into the two main sections. Between the synth heavy, wonky/purple/future garage/post-dubstep of the first and the UK Funky of the second, I’ve taken a little detour across the pond and back into the eighties. There’s some kind of logic in there, I swear. Pretty pleased with most of the Funky section, varied as it is with more “serious”, experimental tunes*** bookending a bunch of bashy vocals.
I put this together on Ableton Live, which I’ve never used before. I tried to not overdo it with effects or take too many liberties with re-editing tracks. There’s probably some inconsistency in volume and a couple of tracks’ sound quality might be slightly below par due to my own vinyl ripping, so sorry about that. Hope you enjoy.
1. We Can Funk intro
2. Untold – Anaconda (Hessle Audio)
3. Gemmy – Supligen (Planet Mu)
4. Joker & Ginz – Purple City (Kapsize)
5. Rustie – Bad Science (Wireblock)
6. Zomby – Digital Flora (Brainmath)
7. Darkstar – Aidy’s Girl Is A Computer (Hyperdub)
8. Joy Orbison – Hyph Mngo (Hot Flush)
9. Brackles – Get A Job (Apple Pips)
10. Terror Danjah & DOK – Code Morse (Pirate Sessions 2007)
>>>Terror Danjah/Trim – Boogeyman (Wiley excerpt) – (White label 2005)
11. Joker – Untitled_RSN (Tectonic)
12. Joker – Digidesign (Hyperdub)
US 80s Freak Funk Detour
13. Prince and The Revolution – Erotic City (Warner Bros 1984)
14. TILT – Arkade Funk (D.E.T.T 1983)
15. Indian Ocean – Treehouse (Extended bootleg edit)
(from Arthur Russell…The Sleeping Bag Sessions – Traffic)
16. Model 500 – Night Drive (Metroplex 1985)
UK Skank Out!
17. Lil Silva – Funky Flex (White label 2008)
18. Cousin Cockroach – This Ain’t Tom N’ Jerry (Bitasweet 2002)
19. Untold – Just For You (Roska Remix) (Hot Flush)
20. Bubblez – Ice Rink Remix (Wiley & Riko) (White label)
21. Apple – Mr Bean (Remix) (White label)
22. Shystie – Pull It (Ill Blu Remix) (It’s Funky)
23. Hard House Banton – Siren (Spoilt Rotten 2008)
>>>Stush – We Nuh Run (download)
24. Sticky – Jumeirah Riddim (original) (White label)
>>>Sticky – Look Pon Me (feat. Natalie Storm) (Mixpak)
25. Bubblez – Loser (feat. Lady Saw & Cecille) (White label)
26. Cooly G – Narst (Hyperdub)
27. Altered Natives – Bare Blade Knuckle Slap (Fresh Minute Music)
* You can download the 1969, Baby! mix here. Ash kindly blogged it with the tracklist, here. I must also give “honourable” mention to mapsadaisical who did a ’69 set before me, which just happened to share a few tracks with mine. (He got the Howlin’ Wolf tune from my vinyl rip anyway.)
** I was stunned when Kode9 blended that bonkers Cousin Cockroach (Dego of 4-Hero) track with a Lil Silva track at Corsica in November. I’d planned that bit for ages; it fits in so well with this year’s rhythms. Oh, and my crowbaring in of the Wiley bit from Boogeyman is questionable, but it is an amazing verse.
***By the way, that Altered Natives track, which I first heard Joe Muggs playing on The Wire mag’s Resonance.FM show (of all places) is a must-own and every bit as good as the amazing A-side “Rass Out” which has been caned by everyone.